From Mark Batterson on April 10, 2012
Just thought I’d share 5 core convictions that drive us at National Community Church. These are part of our OS or Operating System as a church.
1. There are ways of doing church that no one had thought of yet.
2. We need lots of different kinds of churches because there are lots of different kinds of people. Let’s stop criticizing and start celebrating our differences. If the gospel is being preached, it doesn’t matter what name is over the door!
3. The church ought to be the most creative place on the planet.
4. We ought to be more know for what we’re FOR than what we’re against. Paul didn’t boycott the Areopagus. He walked into the marketplace of ideas and competed for the truth!
5. The church belongs in the middle of the marketplace.
A church that stays within its four walls isn’t a church at all. It’s a club. Jesus didn’t just hang out at synagogues. He hung out at wells–natural gathering places in ancient culture. We can’t wait for people to come to us. We’ve got to go to them. We’ve got to meet them on their turf, their terms.